We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
-Arthur O'Shaughnessy
A lot of different things inspire people, shape peoples lives or send them down a specific path. Music has been a part of my life since I was in 4th grade...probably even before that. I remember listening to the music my parents had on in the car; whatever that was, country music of my dad, or the 50's, 60's doo-wop/early rock n' roll that my mom would listen too. Fourth grade was the first time that I could start learning and instrument in school. I mean we had played the recorder in music class, and I was possibly in the recorder club as well...I was LOL. Well in trying to figure out what instrument I wanted to learn of course, it was going to be the drums, or the trumpet. I really wasn't into piano, or a string instrument for whatever reason. In telling my mom what I wanted to learn she, well put the kibosh on those first two choices. Giving various and ample reasons why I wasn't allowed to play them. I then started thinking OK...lets try the sax...nope! That led to a no for the clarinet as well. SHIT...what the hell am I supposed to play. My mother then brought up the option of the flute. In case you don't know, pretty much only girls play the flute...and that's about it in school at that time and probably even now.
Reluctantly, I decided to try it. Of course I was one of only 3 guys at that time playing the flute with about 15 girls. Now, I wasn't a popular kid; yeah, I played sports, but I really only had a very small handful of friends. So now playing a "girlie" instrument put me a bit more on the outside of things. Yup, I was the cool kid playing a girls instrument all through elementary school, middle school, high school and into college. By the time I hit high school I was really the only male in the section. In my first year of high school, I also either wore sweatpants or shorts everyday. Push me more on the outside LOL...like I said, cool kid, party of one!
I guess I was a pretty good flautist (yes that's the correct term). My freshman year I was asked to play in the Marching Band. I had no clue what a marching band was...I mean, putting 2 and 2 together I could figure it out, but I politely turned down the offer (their was also a strong influence from my mom again). The next year, I was asked again...this time, I decided to give it a try. Our marching band was run in a very military'ish way. That decision and the decision to play the flute all those years ago were probably two of my best decisions. I've met so many friends through the outlet of music, had a career for a bit, met my wife and for once didn't really feel like an outsider. Those decisions shaped a good portion of my life. I ended up loving music; playing it, listening to it, learning about it and even writing some.
In the beginning I was really mad at my mom for not letting me play what I wanted to play. However, I got the last laugh though, when I started playing the piccolo and had to practice at home and boy at times did I just play loud to annoy my mom just a tad. Thanks for pushing me to do that mom and letting me experience a great medium!
So onto why I decided to write about all that today...Its a cold Saturday and I'm sitting here watching the Foo Fighters documentary on HBO about their new album, Sonic Highways. If you haven't heard about it, they basically wrote the entire album while visiting cities that influenced them through their careers. Chicago, D.C., Seattle, NY, New Orleans...the list goes on. Music is such a great thing. So in trying to figure out what to write for my second blog back, I decided to write a little about my history with music and the fact that it did shape a chunk of my life. That's what these places did for them musically. It's really interesting to hear the meanings behind songs, and what the words mean. Past that, its the musical influence from years and generations before. All the different genre's, where they started, the fact that they all take bits and pieces from classical, biblical, renaissance, jazz, rock, blues...and everything else in between. Music, in my opinion is the great unifier. No matter what your preference, each genre brings people together; they connect, share (hopefully legally LOL), love, sweat and bleed for music (those mosh pits gets crazy). It truly can hit every emotion that you can think of as well. People can hate on other types, that's fine...but in one way shape or form whether you love it or hate it, its all connected somehow.
I listen to music everyday, heavy metal, rock, pop, rap, classical...whatever. I have my favs, I have things that aren't my favorite and even though I say I'd like to punch people like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift in the face LOL...I respect the overall art (it might suck but LOL).
Well...that's it for my rant today. Thanks mom for bringing the beauty of music into my life!
\m/ \m/
No comments:
Post a Comment