Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Holy hail storm Batman!

Wow some pretty crazy weather here today in Connecticut!  I was sitting by the window literally watching dozens upon dozens of lightning strikes in the sky, followed by very ominous, lengthy and loud thunder.  It always amazes me how something so beautiful can also be so menacing.  Once it started raining we had about a good 45 minutes of just pure down pour.  The hill in the back of our apartment (Hillside Ave) like usual started to look like a raging river and then the dime - quarter size hail started.  It was a pretty awesome event to watch.  Our bathroom kind of flooded, since I by mistake left the window open and no matter what happens the rain and wind always seem to blow right into the windows on that side of the house. 

Well it was back to work today; after a very enjoyable birthday weekend.  A surprise party on Friday night, house/condo hunting on Saturday and a big Dragons Hockey win on Sunday to end the season...the weekend was very good.  Speaking of hockey; this season did not go too well.  3-9 we ended the year with only I think 31 goals scored.  Needless to say we didn't have much offense and it definitely wasn't consistent.  But the last few games of the season I think we really started to play better as a team.  A few 1 goal loses and two wins.  What sucks now is that we have at least a month off before next season starts.  I believe we are adding a new forward to the team as well and hopefully the schedule will pan out better since we never had offensive lines stay the same from game to game.  On another quick hockey note...the Devils signed Zach Parise, and also waived Colin White!  So many Devils fans are now saying "what the f**k took so long Lou!".  One eyed Whitey is gone.  I could deal with him when he was a fighter and a big hitter, but after his whole eye injury thing he just sort of went through the motions and forgot what kind of player he used to be.  Let's Go Devils!  Also hopefully the Islanders vote went well today; it would really suck if the Isles had to leave NY and go elsewhere.

Chicken with Cremini Cream Sauce
OK, before we wrap up for the night a quick look at the meals for Sunday and Monday.  Tonight was literally a throw together dinner;  I had some shrimp left and some frozen veggies, so I did my go to meal as of late Shrimp Scampi.  Comes together quickly and tastes good!  Sunday however was another awesome keeper meal as we dined on Chicken with a Cremini Mushroom Cream Sauce, rice and roasted asparagus.  Now usually I would say...a cream sauce on a diet...not possible.  However this one was pretty darn good.  The sauce was basically chicken stock and a little low fat cream cheese (with the mushrooms-for fantastic flavor & scallions).  Came together very nicely.  The chicken was just browned in the pan with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  Nothing real fancy about this dish, but people will think it took you a while to make.  The asparagus was great as well.  Growing up my mom always used to make asparagus, broccoli & cauliflower the same way...boiled and topped with either butter or in the cauliflowers case a white sauce.  Now it was always good, but roasting the asparagus and broccoli I think really makes the flavor of the vegetable stand out more.  And cauliflower...not a huge fan, but the mashed cauliflower we did wasn't that bad I must admit.

Tomorrow is weigh in day along with grocery shopping, so there might not be a blog tomorrow night.  I'm a little worried about weight in...last week I was at 278...I'd like to see 275 on the scale tomorrow but I don't think that will happen.  Just gotta keep working!  By the way...4 day work week this week with Sarah and Bubba's wedding on Saturday then it's off to VEGAS!  Not for fun...but for work.  So if anyone reading is going to be or lives in Vegas and wants to get together for a drink or something...let me know!  Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment