Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Little Bit of Home Cooking

We all know that I love to cook; so tonight's blog will be about some of the dishes we've had lately.  It seems as if this week was international flavor week.  Monday night was Baked Salmon with a Lemon Aioli, Tuesday was a little South Beach Spaghetti with meatballs and Italian sausage, Wednesday we dined on some Ginger Honey Pork Chops and tonight the best so far...a homemade (Panchero's) Burrito Bowl with Grilled Chicken.

The Baked Salmon with the Lemon Aioli was pretty darn good.  I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the salmon dishes I have ever made on south beach except for 1, and this was not it.  The salmon was rubbed with a little cayenne pepper and thyme and then baked for around 15-20 minutes.  The signature of the dish was definitely the lemon aioli.  Now this was not a traditional aioli which is usually made with garlic, olive oil and egg which creates an emulsion...sort of like mayonnaise.  Which in this recipes case we used.  A mix of mayo, garlic and lemon juice made this aioli.  I topped the salmon off with a julienne of mushrooms and a side of roasted potato's and green beans (a green giant steamer bag).  Everything came together very nicely and the semi-spicy salmon and silky texture of the aioli cooled off any heat.  Definitely an A+ in my book.

We will stay in the Europe area for our next dish and hit up an Italian staple of Spaghetti with meatballs and sausage.  No frills or twists in this one...your basic dish.  We of course used whole wheat pasta with this and store bought pasta sauce.  Quick, easy, simple and delicious!

As we jump on the plane over to the orient for the next dish, I must say that this one did not come out as well as I would have liked.  Still...the Ginger Honey Pork Chops were very good.  A glaze composed of fresh grated ginger, honey and soy sauce gave the pork a great flavor.  The chops were cooked in a grill pan so that the pork would get some nice sear lines on them.  I think if i do this again, I might actually bake the pork chops in the oven to get a better overall glaze next time.

Finally if you have ever been to Shelton, you need to hit up a quick eats place called Panchero's.  This is a nice Mexican place sort of like Moe's but with a much better and shorter menu.  You have a choice of a burrito, tacos, quesadillas, a salad or a bowel.  Tonight Erin and I made our own homemade Burrito Bowl with Grilled Chicken.  In the "bowl" we had brown rice, black beans, corn, salsa, some sour cream and homemade guacamole!  I do have to say that the guacamole I make is pretty darn tasty.  This dish was so simple, quick and easy that we were done and eating in no time.  This was another one of those meals that was straight forward but oh so good!  We had enough left over that this will be lunch for us tomorrow. 

And that's pretty much it for this week...coming up for the weekend nights we have another pork dish and some mustard and maple chicken (I think lol).  Have a great night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment