It's inevitable that as we get older that there are some things we won't be able to do anymore; party all night, play a sport for multiple games or all day, pull an all nighter, or whatever you used to do at the age of 18. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to let that happen. I'm never going to say the words..."I'm too old for this shit!", I will not make a Murtough list. For you Lethal Weapon or How I Met Your Mother fans you'll get that reference. Hopefully the day I say that is a very, very long time from now.
A few things kicked my ass this week. One of them was the Kenpo X DVD from the P90X workout series. Now some of you may not know that a very long time ago I used to take Karate. I had advanced pretty far in it, but at a certain point baseball took over and I had to stop taking classes. Now this workout from P90X was basically punching, kicking and blocking with a warm up phase of some yoga. It was around an hour long, and can I tell you I was done when this was over. Not just that night, but also the next day. I really don't remember my body being that sore in a while. It was a great workout and a good change-up from my normal aerobic workouts of the elliptical or bike riding. Now this was Thursday night...Friday night we had a hockey game with the Greyhounds, and we finally won. It was a hard fought game and we pulled out a one goal victory. I played a good game and then with about 15 seconds left, the other teams goalie pulled, I decided to jump up on a play where the ball popped up I grabbed it, dropped it ahead of me to skate into the offensive zone when all of a sudden my right arm was pretty much hooked from behind, just about of the socket. Definitely heard a pop or something...and needless to say my entire upper body of my right side was wrenched to shit and sore as hell. Hey it happens...but I still came back and played our next game on yesterday.
Saturday's game went pretty much the same way, close game, tied at regulation...unfortunately we lost in over time 4-3 with a last second goal. This game was a bit chippy, and apparently everyone wanted to run into me, even though this isn't a checking league. Middle of the second period I got leveled! I stepped up at the red line to make a play and instead of the guy on the other team going around me, he ran into at full force. His stick cross-checked my left forearm and bam...huge ass lump! So now my body is killing me, but like I said it's part of the game and it won't stop me.
Every time things like this happen...I think for a half a second, how much more can I take? Well since I can now play two games back to back and play pretty much the entire game if I needed too...I can take a lot more than that! A bruise here, a strain there, even some stitches (yeah that's happened, high-stick to the eyebrow) won't stop me from playing the game I love and I will NEVER be to old for it...no matter what anyone says!
62 pounds down and going strong...Loving my new lifestyle, new body and for the first time in a long time new clothes that only have one X in front of them! See you all on Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment